Monday, February 22, 2010

The Future of Pageants

I have a lot of friends and acquaintances who do a double-take when I explain that I am Mrs. Alaska-America 2009 and that I won a beauty pageant to earn the title. Most say "you don't seem like the pageant type". Well.... I think they thought they were complementing me, at least I take it that way. I may be a "rough around the edges" backcountry woman to a lot of people, but I also have a very feminine and glamourous side, too. I am happy that there are venues out there that foster female strengths and beauty and empower women to be the best at whatever they wish.
I had the chance to attend a teen pageant the other night and was really happy at witnessing the "next generation" of women who will be influencing our world. Also included in the pageant were young girls who had been "adopted" by the titleholders to mentor them and be "big sisters" for the year. They are called Alaska's Gold Nuggets.

Congratulations to this year's Miss Forget-Me-Not (Alaska's State Flower) and all those young women who decide to use pageants as a way to become stronger, more articulate and versatile. Because of these ladies, there is a great future for pageants and all they offer.

1 comment:

  1. I think you are the PERFECT pageant type! Beautiful inside and out! Great posts!!! Miss you, roomie!

    ReplyDelete